I can do hard things.

Well now that my juice feast and whatnot is over, I am jumping back over to this blog. I'll still keep the other blog as a reference but I will be mainly posting on this blog now.

About that New Years resolution? Well things have changed which means that I am going easy this month. I tend to try and do as little work as possible to get something done. I'm just not naturally high-energy although I have improved since the juice feast.

This month I am going to train for my half marathon. This basically means I am going to post my schedule and stick with it!

My mother-in-law called me up yesterday and asked if I was interested in running a half with them in April. I froze. I know I can do hard things, I have proved it before in the past with juice feasting and my 10k but we were talking about going from 2 miles (which is what I can run now) to 13.1 miles by April 28th! Visions of crapping in my pants while running and sweaty, messy me popped into my mind. I knew I could train for a half but I didn't know if I could train for a half on such a strict schedule.

So naturally I said, Sign me up! I think that night's dinner of potato tacos had seriously messed me up somehow. I mean, what was I thinking?! A half?!

Then I got pumped. I can totally do this! Yes, it will be hard and there will be many days where I want to just quit. Then there will be days where I actually shiz my pants from running and my sides will feel like they are splitting open as if I have a baby alien inside of me waiting to punch through my thoracic cavity.

But in the end, my motto will be:
And it's true. I have done plenty of hard things in my life so why not this? Why couldn't I do this? 

So here is a training schedule I found online
Week Mon Tues Wed Thurs Friday Sat Sun Total Miles Run
1 2 miles Rest 2.5 miles Rest 3 miles 2 easy miles Rest 9.5 miles
2 2 miles Rest 3 miles CT or Rest 4 miles 2.5 easy miles Rest 11.5 miles
3 2.5 miles 2 miles 3 miles CT or Rest 5 miles 2 easy miles Rest 14.5 miles
4 3 miles Rest 4 miles CT or Rest 6 miles 3 easy miles Rest 16 miles
5 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles CT or Rest 7 miles 3 easy miles Rest 19 miles
6 4 miles 3 miles 4 miles CT or Rest 8 miles 3 easy miles Rest 22 miles
7 4 miles Rest 4 miles CT or Rest 9 miles 3 easy miles Rest 20 miles
8 4 miles 3 miles 3 miles CT or Rest 10 miles 3 easy miles Rest 23 miles
9 5 miles 3 miles 4 miles CT or Rest 11 miles Rest Rest 23 miles
10 4 miles Rest 3 miles CT or Rest 12 miles 3 easy miles 3 easy miles 25 miles
11 4 miles Rest 3 miles CT or Rest 5 miles 2.5 easy miles Rest 14.5 miles
12 2 miles 20 minutes Rest 20 minutes Race Day! 13.1 miles Rest Rest 15.1 miles + 40 minutes



So there you have it. My life for the next 12 weeks. I'm excited to get back to running which is really what this blog is about (among other things).

2 comments:

Juls said...

Way to go Jessica! That will be awesome and I tell you it's a great way to get into shape! As hard as it was it was worth it and a great experience for me and then I got hooked. Cannot wait to see you in a couple of weeks!! We are so excited! It will be a break that is well needed.

maynardmoments said...

I actually wrote up that training schedule for my mom and Kelsey last week. I am glad to see it is being put to great use. :) It almost killed me not to be running along with all of you, but I will be cheering for you! You can do hard things!